Monday, September 10, 2007

Let's hear it for Bishop Spong!


I have received a couple of posts from people I respect questioning my theology on human sexuality. What I like about this is the courteous nature which is so lacking in the vitriolic hatred that characterises the same discussion in the Anglican/Episcopalian church. I am happy to have discussions on this level. So in the same spirit of respectful friendship I quote Bishop John Shelby Spong from his open letter to the Archbishop of Canterbury. Not my denomination I know but helpful even so.

“You continue to act as if quoting the Bible to undergird a dying prejudice is a legitimate tactic. It is in fact the last resort that religious people always use to validate "tradition" over change. The Bible was quoted to support the Divine Right of Kings in 1215, to oppose Galileo in the 17th century, to oppose Darwin in the 19th century, to support slavery and apartheid in the 19th and 20th centuries, to keep women from being educated, voting and being ordained in the 20th and 21st century. Today it is quoted to continue the oppression and rejection of homosexual people. The Bible has lost each of those battles. It will lose the present battle and {those who support it in this battle} will end up on the wrong side of history, the wrong side of morality and the wrong side of truth.”

I have to say, I think this is where I stand too, but keep talking to me folks, there is more that unites us than divides us and actually, I'd quite like to blog on those topics too. I am not a one issue Christian!