Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sir, are you a priest?

What is it with teenagers?

I have decided, rightly, or wrongly, not to explain the whole training issue to my students. It just seemed an unnecessary complication. Instead I planted the idea that I am a priest in the minds of a couple of the most likely to gossip and sat back and waited. Sure enough, I have been receiving a steady stream of enquiries. Some youngsters said they always believed that I was a vicar. Interesting. Is this my innate holiness and spirituality or simply the fact that I teach Religious Studies? I suspect the latter.

Others have asked:
So are you a Christian, then?

Are you religious?

Do you go to church?

Do you believe in God?

I have worked with teenagers for twenty-five years. I ask again: what is it with teenagers?

I blame their Religious Studies teacher.

Do you know the Bible Sir?

A bit more than Dan Brown.

Who?

Bring on the albino attack monks.