Thursday, February 7, 2008

DOXOLOGY

Over the weekend I was involved in leading worship twice. The first time (with no voice and a walking stick, you remember) I led Morning Worship from the Methodist Worship Book. On the last afternoon I was responsible for creating and delivering a Doxology.

We were given feedback by the two tutors. I was told:
  • I needn't thank people for standing, sitting and singing in Morning Worship.


  • My Doxology was "interesting" but there were huge reservations about its suitability.
So here it is:


DOXOLOGY

L: O all you works of the Lord, bless you the Lord.
C: Praise him and magnify his name forever.
L: O you Angels of the Lord, bless you the Lord.
C: Praise him and magnify his name forever.
L: O you children of men, bless you the Lord.
C: Praise him and magnify his name forever.
L: O you servants of the Lord, bless you the Lord.
C: Praise him and magnify his name forever.

Come, now is the time to worship (Brian Doerksen)

Come, now is the time to worship

Come, now is the time to give your heart.

Come, just as you are to worship.

Come, just as you are before your God, Come.

One day every tongue will confess you are God,

One day every knee will bow.

Still, the greatest treasure remains for those

Who glady choose You now.


L: Holy Spirit, coming so silently,
giving life and refreshment and beauty everywhere;
coming in a way none can understand; coming invisibly;
coming in the night of affliction; may your love dwell in our hearts,
may your strength invigorate us, may your love kindle our whole beings, to love him who first loved us. Amen

L: The Holy Spirit is making us into the Disciples God wishes us to be. He has given us gifts and skills for the building up of his church and sanctified them. We recognise these gifts as we affirm one another. Please feel free to adapt the wording on your sheets as we find and affirm our friends.

…………, I value you for…………………………………………. May God bless your ministry, give you his guidance, show you his ways, keep you ever in his love, give you his strength and comfort and hold you in the palm of his hand.

King of Kings, Majesty (Jarrod Cooper)

King of Kings, Majesty,God of Heaven living in me.

Gentle Saviour, closest friend,

Strong Deliverer, beginning and end.

All within me falls at your throne:

Your majesty, I can but bow,

I lay my all, before you now,

In royal robes I don't deserve,

I live to serve Your majesty.

Earth and heaven, worship you,

Love eternal, faithful and true.

Who bought the nations, ransomed souls,

brought this sinner near to Your throne.

All within me cries out in praise:

Your majesty, I can but bowI lay my all, before you now.

In royal robes, I don't deserve

I live to serve your majesty.

C: Give us:
A pure heart that we may see you,
A humble heart that we may hear you,
A heart of love, that we may serve you,
A heart of faith that we may live you:
You who we cannot fully know, but whose we are.

L: God who made us, we worship you.
Christ who saved, us we thank you.
Spirit who strengthens us, we need you.
God the Father, bless our days.
God the Son, we give you praise.
God the Spirit, guide our ways, now and forever more. Amen



All my student colleagues really appreciated it.