Friday, March 21, 2008

Strangely wrongfooted by Easter


I don't know why it is, but I have felt oddly dislocated in the run up to Easter and I am not sure why. At every stage I seem to have been reactive and on the back foot. Is it because Easter is so early?

Maybe.

It all started with Lent. What should my Lenten discipline be? What did I do? I opted for giving up a whole range of fairly meaningless things of which alcohol and chocolate were the key two. Looking back now I feel that someone of my age and experience should surely have managed something more spiritual and more creative.

Then due to a planning failure I invited the revered elders for the day on Palm Sunday and therefore missed the start of Holy Week. The previous Sunday I had made one of my occasional visits to St. Atrophy's and Rev. Jim preached a fabulous sermon. He and I went out together in the week and had a curry and put the world to rights. It seemed a strange role reversal, this young man as one of my mentors, and part of a support group which college insists we all have. The waiters kept looking at us. I am sure they were thinking: "Ah, what a nice lad, taking his old Dad out for a meal." Still, I like to believe that Jim gets as much out of these times together as I do and it was nice to come back home for coffee and a continuation of the chat.

But I digress: what that means is that I missed two consecutive weeks at St. Small's and I think this has added to my sense of dislocation. There was no Maundy Thursday service at St. Smalls. NO MAUNDY THURSDAY SERVICE!!! So I went with Mrs. D.P. to St. Angst's for the foot washing and Eucharist. I was welcomed like the Prodigal Son and ended up reading the Epistle and singing as one third of a scratch trio.

So it wasn't until yesterday that I began to feel that I was in Holy Week at all. A bit late in Holy Week too. This evening I am at St. Small's for the Good Friday liturgy where I will be reading and also be Eucharistic assistant.

Then it all goes wrong again. My course has its residential Easter school starting on Sunday for eight days. I will miss Easter Day at St. Smalls and will participate instead in a service, which I am sure will be wonderful, with all the other students in the evening.

As I shall be away for eight days I shall be asking some friends to guest blog here to keep things ticking over, so don't be surprised to see some unfamiliar faces.