Tuesday, March 25, 2008

What To Say?


Hello everyone. I am Grandmère Mimi, posting while Doorman-Priest is away having fun at Vicar School, and, we trust, learning a little. My hope is that he’s not having too much fun.

When DP asked me to post a bit while he was gone, I said yes without thinking much about it. Now that it’s time to actually write the post, I find that it’s a daunting task. I wrote one post which I sent to the Reverend Boy to look over, and he wrote back and said a few nice things, but he noted that the piece sounded as if I was searching for something to say and gently suggested that I should be myself. Was he ever right! I was searching desperately for something to say, all the while trying to be DP instead of writing in my own voice.

The reason that I’m having a difficult time of it is that DP is quite good at what he does, and I am fairly certain that I won’t measure up. He has such large shoes to fill. I’ll tell you a secret. The Reverend Boy is a bit worried, too. We both know it when we come up against our betters. To make a long story short, I scrapped most of the post that I had written and started over. The one true part of it that sounded like me, I left in.

Thanks partly to several of Doorman-Priest’s posts and some of the comments here, and having just commemorated the days between Palm Sunday and Easter, the Last Supper on Maundy Thursday, and the Crucifixion of Jesus on Good Friday, and celebrated with joy the great feast of the Resurrection of Jesus, the oft-asked question, “Are you saved?” came to my mind again. What does it mean? Having grown up in the Roman Catholic Church, I had no context in which to place that question when I first heard it and no clue as to what it meant. It’s a question that I still have no answer for.

Just as Jesus broke into the world by his Incarnation, changing everything by becoming one of us, once again, by his death and Resurrection, he changes the relationship of earth to heaven and heaven to earth. I see the Resurrection as not so much for me, but for us, for the whole of creation, which takes the focus off Jesus saving me and puts it where it rightly belongs, on the salvation of humanity and of the whole of creation.

The Resurrection does not so much answer the question, “Are you saved?” in the positive, so much as it empowers us to say, “We are saved; the whole creation is saved,” by the death and resurrection of Christ Jesus, whom the God of love called forth from the grave to give us new life. Thus, we enter the kingdom of God, the paradoxical kingdom, which is right now, but not yet, a kingdom in the present reality, but not yet brought to perfection, a kingdom in which the people of God are called to work out their own salvation by striving to bring about the kingdom of God right here and right now in this time and in this place. Thanks be to God.

My gravatar up there is a portrait of Jane Austen.

Posted by Grandmère Mimi from Wounded Bird.