Thursday, February 26, 2009

Slaps Forehead!!



Some months ago, or so it seems, I sat through a module on church history. Some regulars here will remember that I did not enjoy the experience one bit!

Nevertheless, I chose my essay title and worked very hard on it. I was pleased.

Yesterday I received it back marked. The feedback was very positive and I was pleased but the mark was only 55%. I was perplexed, so I read on.

However, the essay is too short at 3,326 words: it should have been between 5,000 and 6,000 words.

How did that happen?

I had started out with a much longer essay and edited it down and down in an attempt to reach what I believed was a 3,000 word limit and gave up at 3,326, expecting to be penalised for exceeding the limit.

Young Mike (No 1 son substitute) pointed out that it was my worst mark by far and on an essay about Luther!

Don't you just love glass half empty folk?

Then he said: "But you got 55% for doing half the essay. If you had done it all you'd have got 110%."

Don't you just love glass half full folk?

I fessed up to the tutor concerned - who was indeed very concerned.

"You can always resubmit it." Which I thought was very kind.

That was the point at which I realised how much I cared. 55% is a pass. It'll do just fine.