Friday, July 2, 2010

Car Sharing and Early Starts


One of the modules I teach is Religion and the Environment. At some stage, whenever I teach it, the topic of car sharing comes up as a strategy to reduce air pollution and to use less fossil fuel. I always lament that there are no colleagues at the knowledge college who live sufficiently near me to make this a realistic strategy.

Recently a 2+ lane has opened up as an encouragement to car sharing and as I sit there trying to stay calm in the slow lane whilst other cars with two or more passengers take priority and whip by, I do ponder the wisdom of so many solitary drivers like myself on the road.

My colleague Will has recently moved house and is now a short hop from me. He gave me a lift in a while ago and I was very impressed by how clean and tidy his car was. He picked me up again recently and the car was a tip.

"Well I wanted to make a good impression then. I know you better now. Do you mind if I smoke?"

"It's your car. They're your lungs."

He also leaves about twenty minutes before me and as I leave at 7.15 and tend to be in school by 7.40 for an 8.30 start I generally think that's good enough. That extra twenty minutes on a cold winter morning makes all the difference and as long as I hit the motorway by 7.35 its O.K. (It looks like a long-stay car-park after that.)

It is Sponsored Walk day at the Knowledge College (more of which later) and at the end of the day I am going on a residential with twenty one sixth formers at the Strensall Barracks in York. I do not want to leave the car at the Knowledge College for several nights and so had approached Will.

"I think car sharing is a good idea" he says "but I'm taking my wife to the airport that morning so I can't take you.

Bugger! What to do?

"I live over your way." says Sarah. Why did I not know this before? "I'll bring you in."

"Oh that's a huge help. Thanks so much. What time do you leave?"

"You're not going to like this."

"Try me."

"Six thirty."

Double bugger.

"Do you mind if I smoke?"

"It's your car. They're your lungs."